Thursday, April 19, 2012

Encounters


I’ve been away from this forum for a while, so I figured that the best way to get back into the swing of things would be by posting a bunch of content that isn’t even original to me.  This is the third “Encounters” segment that I’ve done since I started the blog.  The goal is to pass along some information that’s come through my Google Reader feed that was of particular interest/help to me.  I hope you enjoy.
                                                                                      
Is There an Office for Pastor’s Wives? – Jonathan Leeman answers a question that I didn’t even know that people asked until I heard of a church where a pastor’s wife “resigned” from her position as the pastor’s wife, effective immediately upon her husband’s resignation.  While there may not be an official biblical “office” for the pastor’s wife, it has been my privilege to enjoy watching one such wife (my mom) fulfill God’s calling for her in this position with unbelievable grace.

Recognizing Bigotry  - This post comes from one of several atheist blogs that I subscribe to in order to keep up to date with what’s going on in their world.  The author attempts to bemoan the apparent bigotry that they (atheists) face at the hands of Christians.  After reading this blog for several months now, all I can offer is this: “Hello pot, meet kettle.”

The Post-Christian Condition – Incredible article by Al Mohler on the effects of secularization on society. Mohler uses the example of the Anders Brievek trial and the region of Scandinavia as a whole.  This argument is pretty much identical to the one that I had the privilege of hearing Ravi Zacharias make when he visited Clemson University last month and lectured on intolerance.

What’s Wrong with Theistic Evolution – Kevin DeYoung deals with the problems of embracing Theistic Evolution by highlighting the eight problems that Wayne Grudem finds with a very faulty system.  I’m sure the list could be expanded a hundred-fold.

Is There Anything Wrong with Drums and Guitars in Church? – I tweeted a quote from this excellent post by R.C. Sproul Jr. just yesterday.  I’ve thought for a while now that we are asking many of the wrong questions when we evaluate the “right” kind of music for worship. I’m not a music apologist, and I won’t attempt to be. I will observe, however, that if we are really going to make the argument that form doesn’t matter, we had better check our brains at the door. The arguments that we make shouldn't be made against types of instruments or musical styles, but against the banal, shallow, and worldly mindsets that we have brought to the table. If we are desensitized Monday through Saturday, how can we expect to have discernment on Sunday?