Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Romans 8:28 - Cliché or Comfort? (Part One)

Clichés are an unfortunate inevitability.  For example, if you’re a Boston Red Sox fan like I am, you’re nauseatingly familiar with the phrase “we’ll get ‘em next year!”  Sadly, however, most of the time it seems like clichés ring hollow.  They provide little to no satisfaction when it comes to meeting the real needs that they are intended to address, and both the user and the hearer gain little benefit out of the exchange.  For instance, last fall when the Red Sox fell out of playoff contention with an epic September collapse, highlighted fittingly by a blown save against the Orioles, and a walk-off homer by Evan Longoria of the Rays in the space of about two minutes that cemented their fate, I wouldn’t have wanted to hear the phrase “we’ll get ‘em next year!”  In fact, I remember crawling in bed next to my wife who was nine months pregnant at the time, and telling her that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue my love-affair with New England sports.  I told her I couldn't bear to bring my son into this cold, dark world.  Seven months later, Chase inhabits a New England sports-themed nursery. Obviously my steely resolve quickly faded, but the original point still stands. At times, clichés are a bummer.

Sadly, clichés sometimes find their way into our Christian walk.  They can come from well-intended messages, sincere counselors, and even verses of Scripture that, when divorced from their context and separated from authorial intent, ring with a hollowness that was surely never the intention of the inspiring Holy Spirit.  Perhaps no Scriptural cliché has been (over)used as much as one of the dearest passages of Scripture that we hold in our New Testament. In Romans 8:28, Paul finishes his discussion of the future glories that await those who suffer well by saying “And we know that for those who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.”  Inspired by my current personal journey through Romans as well a coinciding lecture from Dr. Greg Mazak in a course that I am currently enrolled in at Bob Jones Seminary, I would like to take the next series of blog posts and focus on this phenomenal text of Scripture.  Together, we’ll answer some important questions that come from this text in order to unearth exactly what Paul’s argument is.  Our intent will be to abolish any cliché nature that this text may hold, and to bask in the glory of what the Holy Spirit intended for us to understand from this magnificent verse.  We’ll answer several key questions including who this passage was intended for, what the “good” promised in this verse refers to, and what God’s ultimate purpose is.

Prior to taking the class mentioned above, I had already decided to spend the summer in Romans, encountering several key passages head-on, and learning from this doctrinally rich book.  Providentially, I had been reveling in this text the week of Dr. Mazak’s lecture on this passage, with no prior knowledge of what he would be teaching on. Thankfully, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when I discovered that his much more profound exegetical work squired up quite nicely with my feeble attempts to make sense of what Paul was trying to convey.

Romans 8:28 should never be a cliché. It carries too much tremendous weight to ever ring with the hollowness usually reserved for the genre of the cliché.  I’m really enjoying my study, and I hope you’ll join me in this journey.  I’m excited to share what the goodness of God has allowed me to be learning.

Grace to you.